Can you imagine taking the “guilty” out of eating this guilty pleasure! I have transformed this popular dessert and made it into a healthy gluten-free, vegan and raw snack without compromising the taste. I also took out the refined sugars and added some natural ingredients to give it a rich, sweet flavor.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the dessert you love to eat was actually good for you? Everyone has there all-time fav. My treat is chocolate chip cookie dough, but my boys cannot have gluten! What’s a girl to do?! I was determined to find a way to turn this popular dessert into a healthy snack yet still have it taste great. With just a few simple ingredients, I achieved this and more by making it a perfect after school snack or post workout fix. It is loaded with fiber and protein to help nourish the body and also help keep you feeling full. We are all aware protein is needed to build muscle, but did you know fiber is beneficial to your health as well. There are 2 types of fiber; soluble (dissolves in water) and insoluble (does not). Soluble fiber can be found in beans, legumes, oatmeal, nuts, seeds, raw fruits and vegetables and has been linked to lowering LDL cholesterol, regulating blood sugar, lowering the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Insoluble fiber can be found in whole grains, raw fruits and vegetables and helps in regulating the digestive tract. It is crucial you eat a wide variety of high-fiber foods to receive the greatest health benefits.According to the Institute of Medicine, women need 25 grams of fiber per day and men need 35 grams per day. Most of us are not getting the proper amount of fiber in our diet. Try adding this yummy snack to help get your daily dose of fiber!!!
HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH BITES
Gluten-free, vegan and raw, this tasty treat is packed with protein and fiber making it healthy and nutritious! Substituting refined sugar with some natural ingredients, this wholesome dessert is a great post workout snack!
Author: Gabrielle Panepinto Reiser
Recipe type: Dessert, Healthy Snack, Kid Friendly
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Raw
Serves: 64 Bites
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. ground flax meal
- 7 medjool dates
- 1/4 cup maples syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
- Combine rolled oats, cashews, salt and flax meal in a food processor until the consistency is fine like flour.
- Add in some of the dates and process until it is combined well, then add the rest of the dates, maple syrup and vanilla until you have a doughy texture.
- Transfer the cookie dough into a 8×8 inch pyrex lined with parchment paper. Mix in the chocolate chips and then moisten hands with a little water and firmly flatten the mixture so it is evenly distributed.
- Place it into the freezer for about an hour or overnight so it becomes more solid. After that, you can cut them into cubes and store it in the refrigerator for a quick healthy treat!