Maybe I’m jumping the gun here but I have created an amazing GLUTEN-FREE AND PALEO dish that is perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers. My psychic senses tell me you will be looking for something to make with all that turkey. Well here you have a sweet and savory flavour combination that is out of this world and makes a delectable blend with any protein.
As some of you may know, almost everything I cook in my home is from scratch. I learned from the best, my mom that is, and everything she made was homemade and delicious. Well, I have certainly adapted her mentality in that department and I think it is one of her many great attributes. In doing so I steer clear from packaged goods… especially in today’s society where processed foods dominate the supermarkets and end up in our kitchen.
So here I am making chicken broth from scratch so I can add it to any one of my dishes. But what to do with the boiled meat?
I have made a yummy curry dish and a fantastic BBQ Paprika Pulled Chicken in the past, but I wanted to change things up this time around. Sticking with the fall festivities was my inspiration and I certainly nailed the sweet and savory combination that works so lovely this time of year. Best of all, my kids gave me the thumbs up and the chicken was finished in no time! You have to give this recipe a try especially with your leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. I am sure you will get the same reaction!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and this GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO dish makes for a wonderfully blended sweet and savory combination that works perfect with leftover turkey or chicken. This recipe is just what you are looking for if you want to see that prodigious piece of poultry fly out of the kitchen and into the hungry bellies in your home!
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken shredded
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 3 cups butternut squash cubes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 2 stalks swiss chard chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sage finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- If boiling chicken legs, place them in a large pot of water and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until meat is cooked through. Store the broth in canning jars and freeze for later use. Remove the meat from the bone, shred and set aside. You can also use leftover turkey meat.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and garlic on medium heat until fragrant.
- Add butternut squash, salt, pepper, and broth and allow the ingredients to simmer covered until the butternut squash is tender about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Mix shredded meat, coconut amino, and apple cider vinegar and cook for about 5 minutes covered.
- Toss in cranberries, swiss chard and sage allow the flavours to blend together for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from stove, mix in pine nuts and serve.
What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving?
What do you make with leftover turkey?
Is your mom a good cook?
2 thoughts on “Butternut Squash Sage with Shredded Chicken and Cranberries”
Can’t wait to try it. I love cooking with butternut squash.
So excited you are going to try it!