My kids like to call me the mad scientist. I was at it again transforming this unhealthy topping into wholesome goodness. You won’t believe what ingredients make up this creamy, rich, flavorful frosting! It will be hard to resist eating it straight from the bowl.
Searching for a healthy alternative to this commonly used topping was quite interesting. I have made frosting with Earth Balance Soy-free Butter before, but I wanted to find something that required natural, whole ingredients. You know how I love to throw a vegetable into my dessert, so I experimented with a few options that I thought would work. Frosting is not any easy one to mimic since it is so rich and creamy. After a few tries and the right combo, I think I nailed it! At least that’s what my kids told me👍
Are you ready for the main ingredient? Can you believe it is CAULIFLOWER! Here are some great facts about this hidden cruciferous vegetable.
- antioxidants and phytonutrients which aid in protecting us from free radical damage
- anti-inflammatory agents which help protect us against cancer
- sulforphane improves blood pressure and kidney function
- great source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese
- choline is a B vitamin which is great for brain development
- dietary fibers are important for digestive health
- glucosinolates which activates the detoxifying enzymes and helps protect the lining of the stomach
Which leads us to our next healthy ingredient… AVOCADO! With it’s creamy, silky texture this hidden gem not only gave the recipe it’s smooth consistency, but it is also filled with great health benefits.
- contains pantothenic acid, dietary fiber, vitamin K, copper, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin E, and vitamin C
- twice the amount of potassium then a banana, which helps balance your potassium to sodium ratio
- a great source of “good” monounsaturated fats which decreases the risk for breast cancer, reduces cholesterol levels, aids in weight loss, and helps reduce pain and stiffness for sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis
So now when you are craving a frosted cup cake or want some yummy frosting for your layer cake you know where to turn for a healthy alternative!
Vegan Buttercream Chocolate Frosting
This luscious, creamy frosting melts in your mouth but you will never think it contains a vegetable and fruit. A great nut and dairy free substitute and with these healthy ingredients, there is less guilt when you go for seconds. Made with unrefined sugar, making it a much healthier option!
Author: Gabrielle Panepinto Reiser
Recipe type: Baking
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Nut Free
Serves: 2 cups
- 1 cup mashed cauliflower, steamed
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unrefined, raw coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raw cacao
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Allow cauliflower to cool and then combine it with lemon juice in the food processor until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine until it has a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight until the frosting is thick. Before using you may need to whip the frosting a little to make it smooth again.