Looking for a gluten and soy free sauce to compliment your fish? Well, you’ve certainly come to the right place. The substitutes for soy work well with the other healthy ingredients giving the dish a touch of sweetness to the mild buttery taste of the cod.
What’s on the agenda today you ask? Well, not much! I am alone in the house that I have lived in for the past 6 years for the first time ever… not completely alone because I still have my 6 furry friends. Since my surgery I have only been running 3 miles max. I felt good today and decided to run 5 miles! Let the marathon training begin😃 A nice dip in the pool was a great post run treat. Now it’s time for lunch.Soy happens to be one of the allergens on my older son’s list. This is not a problem since the vast number of soy products are considered unhealthy. For example, due to the mass production of soy sauce the fermenting process has been compromised. The harmful effects of the soybean are not inactive because manufacturers are using a chemical process called acid hydrolysis which does not incorporate fermentation. This is not the only down side when consuming soy. Below is a list of other reasons to avoid this widely used ingredient.
1. 91% of soy grown in the U.S. is genetically modified. In order to keep this product at a reasonable price soy has become genetically modified so that it will be resistant to the harmful herbicide Roundup. Unfortunately, it is now filled with toxic pesticides.
2. Although soy is naturally gluten-free, due to cross-contamination with wheat crops and the process of genetic modification, it is now considered one of the top allergens.
3. The isoflavones in soy, which are a type of phytoestrogen, mimic the body’s natural estrogen hormones. This may lead to cancer, testosterone imbalance, infertility, low libido and sperm count in men. For women, an increase in estrogen can cause infertility, menstrual problems and cancer. Children should avoid soy as well because it is harmful to the baby’s sexual development and reproductive health.
4. Soy contains phytates which prevent absorption of certain minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc.
5. Goitrogens are found in soy and is said to inhibit the thyroids ability to utilize iodine properly.
I have discovered a few healthy options to replace soy. Chickpea miso paste makes a wonderful substitute for miso paste. It not only has a distinct and rich taste, it also contains probiotic micro-organisms and enzymes which aid in the digestion process.
Coconut aminos make a great alternative for a soy-free seasoning. The sap is low glycemic, has a nearly neutral PH, contains 17 amino acids minerals and vitamins. It also contains less sodium than regular soy sauce.
Another win for me in this household… especially since my boys do not love fish. With all the health benefits attributed with the consumption of fish I like to make it twice a week for my family and the sauce really helps bring out the taste.